Monday, February 8, 2010

Pangkor Island and food

Tan Eng Kien, the only Couchsurfer from Pangkor Island
I have decided to choose my accommodation in Lumut because it was good value with higher quality compared to Pangkor. For RM 60, I had a 28 m2 room with fridge, TV, phone and balcony with waterviews right next to the jetty. This has been neceesary for me due to my work on the computer and business calls. During the day I enjoyed the tasty food on Pangkor, enjoyed the beaches, jungle treks, culture and historical sites. But everything would not be as memorable without Tan Eng Kien, the only couchsurfer who was a real local fisherman's boy from Pangkor

Kien is a warm-hearted, lively, interesting and interested guy who is enthusiastic about nearly everything, especially his future studies in Australia. He showed me around the island and then invited me for lunch with his family. we met only for a few hours because we were both tired and I actually knew the island quite well already. His mother did not speak much English, so I tried to converse with her in my basic Hokkian and some Malay. This was another experience with food as communication with other cultures without much verbal interaction. She saw that I enjoyed her delicious home-made dishes and naturally knew that I liked it. There are two jetties on Pangkor, one is the main jetty marked with"visitors" and the other one with"villagers". Kien and his family lived in the village which was not too far from the beautiful temple Foo LIng Kong, a must see, apart from the laksa and rojak in the neighbourhood


Sentimental feelings coming up in my heart as I visited the Dutch Fort. How can two different types of blood, one is Dutch(leave out the English within myself) and the other Malaysian?

The Dutch Fort on Pangkor reminds me a lot of my own Dutch Malay(si)an heritage
Foo Ling KOng temple on Pangkor Island. Beautiful architecture with miniature Great Wall
Pasir Bogak beach, my favourite on Pangkor. Unlike Langkawi, the Island is small and easily explored in 2 hours. I go there primarily for nature, beach and exercise which is very relaxing


Dutch Ford on Pangkor Island with forest background, a piece of colonial history amidst tropical nature
Foo Ling Kong temple lies amids lush tropical rain forest and gives one a feeling of piece. And few tourists know that this beautiful temple surrounded by a beautiful Zen-like garden with breathtaking views on the water is just 5 min walk from the Sungei Penang Kecil jetty.
Me eating nasi lemak with fish curry in a Malaysian coffee shop or kopitiam. Food is incredibly cheap and good value. Many locals are having breakfast while sitting and chatting around the table. You get a good feel for local life
Mee or Chinese noodle maker. The actual work is carried out by mostly foreign workers. I had to chase them to be able to make the pictures. For them it is sometimes hard to understand that people would like some photos. Anyway, when I would live here, I would certainly buy their noodles
Me on the beach on Pangkor Island. Teluk Nipah is quite clean but I find it too touristy, including the food

No comments:

Post a Comment