Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Special dishes from North Sulawesi

It has been a long time since I have visited the North Sulawesi region. This year I will go for couchsurfing in Manado.I love Manadonese food and somebody recommended a typical Manadonese restaurant which is only visited by locals. Now I know why:-((

My favourite was the kueh apang, a kind of Manadonese pancake. As I entered the place, I had to pass several dog cages with those poor little black guys whining very helplessly as though they sensed that their fate had been sealed. My heart missed a beat but I felt that both my feet were nailed to the ground, some evil spell probably prevented them to move.

I paid for the kueh apang and they promised to make freshly baked ones. As I was sitting on one of the very comfortable chair, a loud and chatty Manadonese family entered the premises. They ordered some "erwe"(dog meat dish) and I still couldn't find the energy to leave the place.

Finally after one hour they told me that the pancakes were ready. At the same time, a waiter solemnly entered the restaurant with a big dish. "Wow," said one member of the family,"that's good erwe." I was still paralyzed but then I ran.....and ran......The cakes didn't interest me anymore although I had paid and people were shouting after me that I forgot the pancakes.

So remember that the most specific food in North Sulawesi is the erwe(dog puppy dish) and paniki(bat dish). Does Couchsurfing knows about this all?

No comments:

Post a Comment