Saturday, April 23, 2011

Common misconceptions on Couchsurfing


With the very recent unproportional growth of Couchsurfing, we observe that currently many people have misconceptions about Couchsurfing.
I have heard some comments from people outside and sometimes inside Couchsurfing which may or may not be the reality



. These statements do not represent my own views, although I partly agree with them:



1. The primary reason why people join Couchsurfing is a free place to stay.
2. Hosts are all the same, travelers are all backpackers
3. CS represents "a big love into the world" Utopia.
4. Couchsurfing is dangerous and full of people with mental disturbances
5. Hosts who posts rules on their profile are very negative, uptight and anal
6. Couchsurfing is to help travelers without money.
7. Couchsurfing is secluded from the real world.
8. All couchsurfers are hippies and far left wing
9. Negative references are rare. Those who received them will never get a couch again
10.a. People host because they are lonely and have no life outside CS
b. Consider the host's place as yours and the host your maid
c. Use the internet 24/7 for chatting and don't mingle with the host. The host doesn't need the internet, it's just a luxury



What can we do to clarify these misconceptions?
In this case I can only talk about my own hands-on experiences, the positive and negative ones alike. My experiences are oberwhelmingly positive and the few negatives don't have convincing or even hidden profiles. It is important to tell potential members that exactly as in the world outside Couchsurfing not everybody can get along with everybody. As a New Member Welcome greeter I will always tell the new surfer to use common sense, intuition and observe subtle actions such as words, movements or the eyes next to profile and references. I would suggest reading some profiles, coming to meetings, attend a Couchsurfing Orientation Day or ask a question to the Advice for Hosts group on Couchsurfing.If anybody has an idea about another misconception, please let me know or write a comment on my article. How do you deal with misconceptions?

Update 5 July 2014:
In the meantime, some of these 'misconceptions' have widely become the reality on Couchsurfing. However, it is still possible to avoid this kind of experience by selecting your hosts and surfers carefully 

2 comments:

  1. I love couchsurfing because it extends social networking into a reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, just after I started CS I thought the same. Extending social networking into a reality. Facebook + + although I'm selective adding people even to Facebook and nowadays with CS' recent development I primarily surf/host through contacts. CS app underway though

    ReplyDelete