Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Please build more foot paths and bridges in Melati Mas

Sometimes I really wondered about Melati Mas. The private developers only catered the area of Melati Mas to the needs of the wealthy people. The pedestrians were considered less than second class citizens. Most of Melati Mas residents owned at least one car. And as usual the needs of pedestrians were being stepped on and treated as garbage. Different from other parts around Jakarta, Melati Mas had not bothered to build a side path for pedestrians. The streets were very broad and geared to cars but opportunities for pedestrians were not in their calculation scheme.

The only thing which looked like a sideway was a bumpy path of grass. Due to the fairly wide street, the amount of cars and motorcycles hitting from behind had expanded to 5 rows of reckless vehicles.It was neceesary to publish a number of blogs and daily newspaper articles until Melati Mas finally started to build the first pedestrian bridge over the Serpong Highway! Before, it was simply impossible to cross this highway and a few pedestrians lost their lives or their limbs!

Everytime when I passed the Jalan Melati Mas Raya or main road in Melati Mas I prayed Our Father at least 3 times. My heart started to throb faster from the time I turned into the main road of Melati Mas. There was a school and 2 medical practices near the police station. All these cars simply blocked the narrow grass path intended for the pedestrians.If you walked around the back of the cars, you had to walk directly on the busy street. In this case I was not sure whether a car or motorcycle would come from behind and instantly transform me into a nice serve of minced meat.

If I walked in front of the cars, I would have been hit by them and may have ended as meat curry for the nearby restaurants!!!! Most pedestrians have simply accepted this and I think they were just too used to being voiceless. Residents of Melati Mas: Please voice your opinion and demand changes. I'm already afraid that despite pavement, the cars wouldn't stop to park there. Drivers, please be more considerate towards pedestrians.

People who understand English probably have no empathy because they drive cars, those who don't drive cars probably don't speak English. Who is going to help me to translate this into Indonesian????

No comments:

Post a Comment