Sunday, July 19, 2009

Noumea

New Caledonia is one of the most expensive countries along with French Polynesia. It is not the usual backpacker trail despite breath-taking nature and some beautiful sandy beaches. More than the majority are white French decendants but living on Polynesian grounds has changed a lot of their way of life, spontaneity and hospitality. New Caledonia is a multi-cultural and -ethnic society where even a giant cruise ship arriving from Australia will make the people blend in completely. There is nothing of that weird feeling of isolation as a tourist here. If you speak decent French, it will make your life even easier....

My Couchsurfing host locked me out by accident and I thought I would go out dancing salsa for a while. Since I had my sneakers on, I was not permitted into their posh club and was forced to sleep on the beach.  Luckily there was a homeless Melanesian family who offered to protect me. They had a huge campervan and didn't come across as poor as the usual homeless. One policeman offered me a place to sleep in a comfortable room and not in jail, the others commented "La femme n'est pas catholique". This refers to somebody who is not quite right on the mainstream track, France being a predominantly Catholic country. I preferred the beach because I felt safe with the 'homeless' family.






Me and indigenous woman in Noumea, New Caledonia

No comments:

Post a Comment