Sunday, July 19, 2009

Couchsurfing in a Thai nunnery

Jeffrey took us to a nunnery near Hat Yai, Thailand. Originally we only came to eat durian and vegetarian food for free. The nunnery was very well-managed and organised. No men are allowed to reside here although there are some men employed by the nuns. WOMEN ARE STRONG BOSSES WITH A KIND HEART!!!

The nuns were all very strong, down-to-earth and technical women. The seniors were assertive but wise, the younger ones a bit more nerve-wracking and tried to boss on me. Of course I was the wrong person for that because I would have appreciated more respect and consideration towards my person. The language barrier was not of much help. The social structure was downward and authoritarian but friendly. Too downward for my taste but my reason to stay there was to immerse.

Nevertheless, I decided to stay there and experience their lifestyle and meditation. They expected someone who stayed there to contribute with whatever, especially in household and gardening. We had to start total fastening and silence starting from noon until 3.am noon. In the evening we had more singing prayers and physical meditation including long walks(similar to Tai Chi walking). Then sleeping time until the gong woke us up for singing prayers. The senior nuns are however aware that a person new to fasting or somebody with medical conditions such as arthritis could not be subjected to the fasting and sitting prayer. So they allowed me to eat a little and gradually adapt to their lifestyle.

I admired their pragmatic attitude of integrating meditation practices into any physical task needed for the nunnery. As a martial artist, I'm very well aware of involving the qi(life force) from meditation into physical activity like sports and martial arts applications. Involving and later infusing the qi into the muscles not only through Tai Chi or Wing Chun forms but through daily activities is very well practiced in this nunnery. I do practice Tai Chi during any kind of activity including computer- and housework.

SEE ALL PHOTOS BELOW




Me going out of the temple after presenting the brick to Buddha

Me entering and kneeling in front of the temple before presenting the brick to Buddha. We can write a special wish on it and it is said that it will come true

Me in temple clothing in front of my private chalet. Joe and Anthony visited me.







Sewing, a contribution to the nunnery



Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment