Monday, July 13, 2009

My first experiences with Couchsurfing

Not that I haven't met all kinds of people from all types of cultures and language backgrounds. On the contrary, due to my parents ethnic background and their job, I was travelling the world since my first baby crawl. I have hosted and been hosted far before hospitality exchange websites could facilitate our travels. Actually I was rather looking to meet new people and learn new perspectives of life as I joined. It is just the idea of freeloaders who have no interest in me as a person and just use me as a free hostel which gives me the goose bumps. Imagine a stranger who just wants to crash for one night and then leave early in the morning, barely gets the opportunity to get to know you, only leaves a dirty lump of washing and possibly cockroach eggs.

AS I visited a host from Hospitality Club with my daughter, I was surprised how open-minded and hospitable they were. I felt I needed some encounters with these extraordinary folks and attended my first Couchsurfing and Hospitality Club in Mainz. The people were so interesting and multicultural that I didn't hesitate to attend a private party at Dennis Emrich's place, the Mainz ambassador at that time. At this party I was also given my first meeting reference to make my journey around the world easier.

I was browsing around the website, read forums and profiles just for fun. Some people, especially those from foreign countries, really ignited my interest and I began my first correspondence with them. The day came as I surfed my first couch in Neuss near Düsseldorf. A colleague of mine offered me to watch a Lasik operation in Neuss on a very sort term and I needed a place to stay. It has never occured to me for one moment to write a copy pasted bulk mail. Of course it was a natural attitude that I personalise my request and write with strong attention-catching words. At least I did have some experience in writing marketing letters and let my skills flow into my first couch request.

Very quickly I received 3 offers from interesting people although I did not have a single reference. So I already thought that a request written from our hearts even if it is just one paragraph will beat any type of reference or profile. That was the very beginning of Couchsurfing because nowadays quantity seems to make up for quality among the new members.I decided for one girl close to the hospital and of course my good manners encouraged me to thank the other hosts for their offers.

This girl, my first host Michaela from Neuss and now city ambassador, exceeded all my expectations. The Couchsurfing wiki article suggested that to avoid disappointment one should barely expect more than a couch to crash on. I bought her a set of facetowels which is something I do often when visiting a person I don't really know. She was rather surprised and we cooked together like friends who know each other since years. Apart from this I had many interesting conversations about so many subjects and went out for salsa dancing. This was my last surfing experience in Germany before I left the country and heading for my second residence in Sydney, Australia.

1 comment:

  1. Soraya,
    Are you currently surfing or Hosting or what at this time?

    I found you through a question section about views of CS on a Writers Group, Sorry for jumping right in with a question.

    My name is Blues and I am basically a host for surfers in Fukuoka Japan. I see a lot of the things that you have spoken of in your blog here that I have found out about surfers as well. Not just being picky about who you allow into your home, but you have found that you should be careful about where you choose to lay your head as well.
    I agree that when one uses coach surfing as a fluctuating social club it really defeats the Reality of the CS movement, we should look for people to connect to and not people to use.
    I have had some people in my place that I have felt sorry for when they asked me for a place and I could not help them, and consequentiality no one else in my town would, so I would get back to them and say come on any way and then I regretted it as they were really not of the caliber that I or any one with any sense would host. Then to see that they went on to their next host and got Vouched for by that host. And wonder what in the hell was going on?

    Anyway, hey good blog you have here and I have enjoyed it. I hope that one day, perhaps you and I will cross paths and sit in the flesh and talk. You are a down to earth type and seem to reflect that in your writing here.
    Peace, Love and Happiness, Blues

    ReplyDelete